Here I’d like to add some information and maybe it’ll be useful for you.
1. Prof. Peter French once suggested that Forensic Phonetics should be inculded in this Conference. I told Prof. Du about it the moment I got the info. Now FP has been in the topic list and the language used is both Chinese and English.
2. About keynote speakers. Besides Professor Malcolm Coulthard and Professor Roger Shuy, Dr. Vijay Bhatia (Visiting Professor in the City University of Hong Kong) has also been invited.
3. About the organizer. This Conference is oranized by China Association of Forensic Linguistics (CAFL). So it is the biggest and most important meeting in the field of FL in China. Prof. Du is the Chairman of CAFL. This Conference is sponsored by the Center for Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (GDUFS). This Center is the key research base of Ministry of Education in China. There are quite a few famous scholars doing thire research there.
4. About accommodation, There is no need to reserve your rooms and food in advance as you do in England, America or somewhere else. The rooms of different types are enough. What you do is to contact the organizer and tell them your needs by email, and when you arrive in Guangzhou you may find everything OK. So there is no need to worry about it.
5. About transportation and travel. Transportation is very convenient. Guangzhou is very close to Hong Kong. You can take the flight to Hong Kong. If you’d like to visit Beijing or Shanghai before the Conference, you can take that flite. It is about two hours flite from Beijing/Shanghai to Guangzhou. Please follow the link(http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangdong/guangzhou/getting-there.htm
) to learn more about Air Informatiion. As for travel in Guangzhou, please follow these links:
These webpages provide you with a lot of info of travel in Guangzhou. China is very large. After the Conference, you can visit other cities, such as Xian, Beijing, Shanghai, Sichuan, etc. Xian is my hometown, which has a very long history with 13 dynasties. It is the root of China. Qin Warrior Museum at the Terracotta Warriors site is here. It is one of eight world wonders. I believe you’ll be impressed deeply in China.
6. About the weather. The weather in GUangzhou is mild in November. You may feel very comfortable at that time because it is usually very cold in most other places. To learn more about the weather, please follow these links:
This is the link to Guangdong University of Foreign Studies:
This is the link of my webpage about the conference:
Any more info, please contact the organizer.If you like, you can contact me(lweiming(a)hotmail.com). I’ll try my best to be helpful.
Looking forward to seeing some of you in China.
Professor of English and Linguistics
Vice-Dean of the Foreign Languages School
School of Foreign Languages (Post Box 94)
Northwest University of Politics & Law
South Chang’an Road, Xi’an, Shaanxi P. R. China
Head of the Reasearch Center of Language and the Law, NWUPL
Member of International Association of Forensic Linguists (IAFL)
Member of China Association of Forensic Linguistics (CAFL)